Friday 18 September 2009

FINALLY FRIDAY


The end of another working week, bottle of red calling, Series 5 of The Wire ready to roll and Derren Brown later tonight. Time to spend a few minutes sharing something with the world. Many moons ago The Boomtown Rats released their great single 'I Don't Like Mondays', Being young I only had enough money that Saturday to buy one single...or to buy a Mother's Day present! I am still ashamed to say that Mum was disappointed the next morning but it was a really good record. Anyway, a few months later I was able to buy my first ever LP and it was the Rats'. Not Tonic For The Troops, but the underrated and often overlooked follow up the fine art of surfacing (note lack of capital letters). Reissued not long ago it still sounds terrific. Yeah, we all know the Rats were never quite convincing as punks, and not quite hip enough to be really cool new-wavers but as a power pop, occasional Springsteen wannabes type band they did ok. And 'I Don't Like Mondays' was their second classic number one single. A few years ago I met a guy who used to drive bands on their tours around Europe. He told me he had travelled with dozens of rock stars but the best bloke he ever took was Bob Geldof who, it transpired, was one of the few who treated the driver with respect and used to come for a chat as they rolled back the miles.

So a couple of tracks for your listening pleasure, the second of which has one of my favourite guitar solos. Have a great weekend everyone!

The Boomtown Rats - Diamond Smiles
The Boomtown Rats - Having My Picture Taken

No comments: