Tuesday 22 September 2009

Contrast Podcast - Random Week



The inspiration behind this blog comes from the wonderful Contrast Podcast, and all the amazing blogs that the regular contributors offer the world. I adore the CP because it offers some stuff I know and love, stuff that's new and loads of stuff that leads me elsewhere. I shall be recommending Mr CP, Tim Young, for some kind of honour when I next meet Her Majesty. This week was random week and you will be able to hear my offering if you download episode 182. However, I thought I'd post from one of the three CDs that didn't make it. Not 'Dance Craze Fever' or Randy Newman's 'Lonely At the Top', but instead 2 tracks from The Avalanches.




When it first appeared the album Since I Left You was a critics' smasheroonie and it does still sound good today - 8 YEARS LATER!!! Doesn't time fly. We still wait for the follow up, although there have been various releases on the internet, often via their site here. There was a great version of Wham's 'A Ray of Sunshine' a while back that I may post another time. I think the album was made up entirely of samples, and vaguely recall that there exists an original version containing samples they couldn't get clearance for - perhaps another lost/mythical album that will appear one day. I suspect that loads of people have this album but haven't played it for a while. Here's a refresher.......




Since I Left You - The Avalanches


Frontier Psychiatrist - The Avalanches

1 comment:

Greer said...

You're a great addition to the CP and it's nice to see you blogging too.

And I totally agree that Tim deserves some kind of special something for everything he does- I'm glad you're working on it.