Sunday 11 October 2009

Sunday Night Blues


I'm one of those saddoes who enjoys checking out unusual reimaginings of great songs (see Hungry Heart cover below). And there are few songs greater than New Order's Love Vigilantes. A recent version appeared by Iron and Wine and it is a stripped down version that flags up the melancholic genius of the original. It is currently popping up on various blog sites and I'm nothing if not a sheep who follows the cool crowd...er, flock. In a recent interview Bernard Sumner gave this version his seal of approval, and if it's good enough for Bernie.......


Also for your delectation a gentle string version that doesn't quite work, but may help soothe restless grandparents. This is the version they will probably be playing when I am finally slumped in a chair in a retirement home, 99 years old, drooling, smelling faintly of wee and wondering when New Order will be touring again.


There is also a nice version by Laura Cantrell on Spotify but I don't have an mp3 of that. I think if I ever get round to forming a band I too will cover Love Vigilantes.


Enjoy



1 comment:

TH said...

The Oyster Band do a great folkrock version of the song