Sunday 25 October 2009

My New Favourite Old Singer


This week's Contrast Podcast features songs about the stomach and guts and at last I have found a way to offer a song by the late and great Jake Thackray. I first heard Jake on Steve Wright's Sunday Love Songs of all places; a god-forsaken audio location filled with repeat plays of 'Move Closer' by Phyllis Nelson, 'True' by Spandau Ballet and 'I Will Always Love You' by Dolly or Whitney (to ensure some variety). However, for some reason Mr Wright played 'La-Di-Dah' by Jake Thackray and my ears tingled (metaphorically of course). I explored further via the interthingy and found that he was a) dead and b) highly regarded, with a dedicated following of er...followers.

Amazon were offering a compilation for £3.99, so I took a gamble and that night listened to this in bed. I should explain that Mrs Kev sleeps easier than I and so I tend to spend a while listening to my ipod in bed each night before I finally drift off. Such are the pleasures of married life after 17 years! Anyway, Jake Thackray's songs are often, as I found that night, hilarious and I began to chuckle during 'On Again On Again' which begins with the wonderful line 'I love a good bum on a woman'. Shortly afterwards came 'Sister Josephine' and I was weeping with laughter. Unfortunately Mrs Kev felt my shudders and grumpily, but not unreasonably, asked what the hell I was up to. Anyway, since that evening I have explored much more of his music and am currently enjoying the 4 disc compilation 'Jake In A Box' available from itunes for the incredible price of £7.99 for 97 tracks!

Now, I have spent all my life as a music fan and thought I'd heard of everyone. So I assumed Jake Thackray was some little known artiste. I began mentioning him to others and my uncle, father-in-law, and mate at work all said -- 'Oh yes, I remember him'. It turns out he was on telly quite a lot in the 70s, on shows like 'That's Life' and from what I can gather was a sort of Northern Richard Stilgoe. But...and here's the important bit...that was all bollocks. Listening now, you can hear that his work has a deep and at times dark, sensuality, a wicked humour and an ability to employ language which is as profound at times as Alan Bennet. In short, he is way more than simply a comic folk singer, and instead deserves to be seen as a man who, like many great artists, viewed the ways of the world with a detachment that allowed him to both mourn and celebrate what it means to be alive in this strange world we have created. Imagine if Bob Dylan wrote lyrics you could understand - that's Jake Thackray. Admired by such people as Morrissey, Alec Turner, Jarvis Cocker and Ian McMillan, it's clear that this is a man who's work needs to be heard by more people.

And so my campaign begins to have Mr T recognised by the movers and shakers of the modern music world i.e bloggers. So download and share, explore further, and revel in the wonder of the sampled songs below.

Or as Dirk would say....Enjoy!

On Again! On Again!
Sister Josephine
The Blacksmith and The Toffee Maker

2 comments:

Dirk said...

thanks for the link, mate!

btw: Mrs Loser would kill me if I'd try to listen to music in bed ...

The In Crowd said...

SIgn me up!

- - Continuing from my comment on this week's CP, many thanks for the education, I will always be indebted to you for bringing Jake Thackray into my life.

My ears pricked up when I heard your contribution, and I spent the better part of yesterday morning googling about and watching videos, finding whatever few mp3s I could (no Spotify in the states, so thanks for your selections), and doing a lot of grinning.

Though there are always new discoveries, like you I've been at this awhile and felt I more or less had certain bases covered.

How could I be familiar with George Brassens, whose lyrics I can't understand without a translation, and not have ever heard Thackray?

So thank you again - - Oh! And thanks for the link to 'I'm Learning To Share' in your blogroll. Hopefully my blog still has some life left in it. We'll see.

Also, regardless of whether your interested, I feel compelled to share the 'segue' my DJ ear leapt to while listening to Thackray's 'Roly Poly Girl' on the CP. An instrumental, a bit of '50s west-coast jazz from The Chico Hamilton Quintet.

A link (that will hopefully work):

'The Morning After'

Cheers!