Tuesday 29 September 2009

Something Different


I Can Hear Your Heart by Aidan John Moffat is a curious beast. It contains a short story which you are invited to read first, then listen to the CD from track 2. (track 1 tells you to go and read the story). The tracks that unfold tell the tale of a fumbling Glaswegian love story, fueled by illicit lust and desire - these are of course the best type of love stories. There is a mix of spoken word, fuzzy orchestral pieces, and insane but hilarious phone calls, short songs, a couple of covers and finally an extended vignette to complete the tale. None of the tracks are particularly great, the short story is ok and the covers are definitely not for the squeamish - as you will hear.

But......as a whole it really works and I keep coming back to it and losing myself in the world it conjures. I like the way the language is both offensive and curiously erotic, and whilst the CD is clearly labelled ADULTS ONLY I suspect this is as much to do with the subject matter as the language. In other words it probably only appeals to those who have experienced the infidelity, misplaced lust and hungover shame that the album evokes. (Obviously I have lived a saintly life so have to call upon my imaginative powers to fully dig it!)

I know that part of my affection for this lies in the dialect. I do enjoy the way the English language is adapted in so many ways and as I am Scottish myself can appreciate (and understand) Moffat's Falkirk brogue. The two tracks below give a flavour of the piece, and even though many will shudder, I always like to hear Springsteen covers.

Enjoy

Aidan John Moffat - Good Morning

Aidan John Moffat - Hungry Heart

3 comments:

Dirk said...

Hello Kevin,

great blog, thanks to Tim's latest CP-mail I got around to have a look. Perhaps you should mention its' existence in one of your next CP-intros, what do you think?

All the very best and good luck with 'Let Me Educate You', mate!

Dirk from Sexyloser

Tricia said...

Hi Kevin-

Just like Dirk I found your blog from the CP email. I love it!! Great stuff. (And I always love your CP intros with Bella)

Good luck here and I will enjoy future educational visits.

Cheers!
Tricia

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comments - all of the CP contributors seem like mini celebrities to me so its great to have you visit.

KEV